up in the big smoke

Sunday, November 19, 2006

useless IT guys

i recently got my desktop switched to a laptop at work, so it's easier to bring work home or work from outside the office. this could have been a dumb move on my part because who really wants to work at home, but i do it anyways, so i might has well have a laptop instead of emailing myself all these large files.

everything worked fine yesterday, but when i tried to login today, it didn't work. tried it a few times, tried logging into different domains. no luck. so i call our helpdesk to get someone to help me out and figure out what's wrong.

the guy had no clue what was wrong, put me on hold a few times, and finally took my phone number because he had to ask someone else and then call me back. he calls back and he has this other guy on the line, who i imagine is the IT guy on call this weekend because he was at home.

i tell him everything that went wrong, what i did yesterday, and he couldn't explain why it wasn't letting me log in. he basically thought i was stupid and kept asking me if i changed my password recently, if i've tried rebooting the computer, and if i typed in my password incorrectly more than 3 times.

i'm not stupid, i know how to use a computer. in the end, the dude couldn't help me. so i asked him what the problem may be because there's no point in bringing my computer home with me if there could be the chance it might not work. but he didn't know what the problem was, and i'm sure in his head, he still thought i typed my password incorrectly. he said he couldn't help me until i connect back on to our server at work.

so all in all, i think our helpdesk people are useless. unless you need to reset a password, they pretty much don't know how to fix anything else.

3 Comments:

  • Why don't you use a memory stick to bring work home instead of bringing a laptop back and forth?

    By Blogger Rosanna =), at 8:31 PM  

  • i thought about that too, and i started using my ipod shuffle as a memory stick. and i'll probably do that during the week, but for the weekend, i might lug the laptop home.

    By Blogger diana, at 10:04 PM  

  • Help desk = helpess desk.

    Similar problems with my new Shaw HD install. They are supposed to be able to download the HD programming right to my box remotely. And all last night, I just spent sitting watching my TV flicker as they did pretty much the same thing 3 times, nobody with any clue what was wrong. So now I have to wait until Thurs, stay at home from 12-4 and see what is wrong. But to get to this point, it took 3 different people, 3 different phone calls...you feeling my pain?

    By Blogger Kathy, at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home