up in the big smoke

Thursday, October 26, 2006

i need a financial advisor

ie. someone who can teach me how to save money.

i never leave balances on credit cards, but periodically dip into my line of credit to tie me over until i get paid. nothing major, but i really shouldn't need to do that. i think my problem is that i don't have a budget, so i spend money without really thinking if i should or not. don't get me wrong, i have a savings account, and actually have money in it, but not as much as i know i should have.

i also use my credit cards all the time. i want to maximize my collection of travel points with my visa, and i use my hbc credit card to get my staff discount. i guess i should start paying off my purchases right away, so it doesn't come as a big lump sum to pay off at the end of the month.

rose said she's going to make me a spreadsheet to track my spending in november, then i can pinpoint where i need to control my spending more. i already know it's in food and shopping. two areas where the spending can vary greatly.

so does anyone have any tips on how to save money?

4 Comments:

  • i say as soon as you get paid, put aside an 'x' amount of money & invest it. you should head to a branch and set up a PPP....force save.

    By Blogger Swedish Sensation, at 10:49 PM  

  • Unfortunately I only have "student"-style money-saving methods, which mostly involve starvation and squalor...
    (psst don't tell my mum she'll freak out :P)

    By Blogger Matt Lam, at 4:04 AM  

  • i sell drugs to "tie me over"

    By Blogger ed, at 2:51 PM  

  • If you can't afford it - don't buy it.

    A

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home