up in the big smoke

Monday, June 18, 2007

the evolution of my place

blogging has been neglected for awhile. this post is for adam. i aim to please.

so i've officially lived in my place for a little over a month now. here is the evolution of my new home:

before the move in - this is my living room, kitchen, and bedroom before i moved in any of my stuff. these pictures were taken after i got the keys from my landlord, feeling pretty stoked about moving out on my own.
a few weeks after moving in - so things are getting put in place, things are still a bit messy in the place, but it's beginning to feel and look like a real home. these pictures were taken right before i flew to edmonton for a wedding, so that's why the suitcase is out.

the week after i got back from edmonton, i went to a cottage with a friend for the weekend. and this is what i came back to:

there was a flood in my apartment over the weekend, and it probably was soaked all weekend until someone told concierge about a puddle in the hallway on saturday night. i had left right from work on friday afternoon, so i wasn't home to prevent the severity of this accident. so at least i came home to the problem taken care of and didn't come back to my apartment like a swimming pool. i came back to a bunch of fans and de-humidifiers in my apartment, the underpadding completely gone, and the carpet ripped up off the floor. my furniture was moved to the far side of the living room too.

it was officially the 4th week i had lived in the place before this debacle happened. make all the jokes you want about me clogging the toilet, but even if the toilet is clogged, it doesn't continue to pump out the water. there must have been something wrong with the toilet. that's my story and i'm sticking to it! there was a big rain storm while i was away, so i'd like to think that had something to do with it as well.

so i had to stay with a friend while my apartment was being dried. and then my landlord had to get a contractor in to fix it, so that didn't happen until saturday, so i was out of my place for a whole week. i'm glad i have good friends who took me in!

my carpet ended up getting replaced. i like the old one better though. and the contractor didn't fix the baseboards b/c he didn't bring a pressurized nail gun. shouldn't he have known he'd need that?! so my landlord wants me to call the building mgmt office and ask them if they can fix my baseboards when they send someone to fix the hallway baseboards. i'll do it, but i think they'll tell me he's responsible for the suite. i'm not even sure if they checked the walls for water damage or mold. does anyone know how i can check for that by myself?

so i'm gone all next week on vacation, i hope nothing like this happens again. i'm turning off the water when i leave this time!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home