up in the big smoke

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

i hate dell

if i haven't ranted to you about my hatred for dell yet, here's the background info before i start the new story.

so when i moved, i had to buy a new computer. i've heard great stories about dell, so i decided to order a laptop from them. long story short, they sent me two laptops and charged me for both. this resulted from their error after cancelling my order and not telling me it gets automatically reordered, but did the sales rep tell me that when i ordered another one? no.

so after almost 2 hours on the phone, and speaking to at least 7 different people, i kept track and wrote all their names down, they finally scheduled a return for me. they were basically trying to offer me discounts or freebies so i would keep the extra computer and they wouldn't have to pick it up. unless it was going to be free, i wasn't going to keep the computer. this is why i hate dell.

today, i had to call them because the free printer that came with my computer was not installing on my computer. i followed the instructions, and it didn't work. it's suppose to be idiot-proof because the printer came with the computer, but it didn't work. so i did it the old fashioned way and inserted the CD into my computer to install the printer. the CD wasn't reading.

(side note: i'm pretty sure my DVD-RW drive isn't working properly anyways, so it doesn't surprise me that it didn't read the CD)

so i called tech support to ask them for help. after staying on hold for 15 mins, i finally speak to a person who tells me i am at the computer support line (even though i pressed the option for printer support) so he transfers me to printer support. stay on hold for about 5-10 mins and after giving all my information, it turns out the guy transferred me to the US printer support line, not the canadian one! american guy couldn't transfer me back to canadian support, so he gives me the right number to call.

fine, i call it. stay on hold for a longer period of time, finally talk to a guy, he helps me, and 50 mins later, my printer works.

at this point, i'm just being so abrupt with the guy too. giving him short answers. when my computer was restarting, he was trying to make small talk and asking me how my day was. my response: fine. then silence. i have no patience talking to these dell people because everytime i call them, it makes me hate them even more. i've never had so many silences in a phone conversation before, but i didn't mind. the less i talked, the less i got angry.

i even used the time i was waiting for the new driver to download to read ryan's blog about video games. normally, i probably would have just skipped it, skimmed it at best. but i read the whole thing, making sure i read every single word, rather than talk to the dell guy.

and because it's a dell printer, i have to order dell ink cartridges. damn them.

thank goodness i have a good cordless phone though. it keeps track of talk time and has speakerphone, or else i would have had a stiff neck from waiting on hold, and then i would have been even more angry with dell.

i hate dell.

18 Comments:

  • First of all, bitch, read my blog.

    Second, somebody needs to call Uncle Steve.

    You can reach him here.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 10:31 PM  

  • Hahaha! Wtf, who told you Dell was good?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 AM  

  • no need to call me names man, i do read your blog. got it bookmarked and everything.

    i know nothing about computers, so i think having a mac would just confuse me more.

    By Blogger diana, at 7:26 PM  

  • Probably not.

    OS X, Apple's operating system, can basically be as easy or difficult as you want depending on what type of user you are. If you are using it mainly for intertron, instant messaging, email, word processing, music, and pictures, basically the average comsumer computer user, a Mac is an infinitely better choice than a PC. No viruses, no spyware, no adware, no malware of any sort. Everything will be almost guaranteed plug and play, including USB printers and the such.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 7:42 PM  

  • Bah, Ryan the Mac Evangelist strikes again >_> Though granted, if I were to buy a laptop it'd probably be a powerbook. Too wedded to my windoze box to switch now, in terms of desktops...

    Steve Nash tells you to buy MDG!
    ...just saw that commercial today on TV. Most ridiculous ad ever.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 PM  

  • Powerbook?

    More like MacBook Pro!

    By Blogger Ryan, at 12:22 AM  

  • Yea, just found out today. I don't care much for the name but those laptops are freakin' sweet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:24 AM  

  • I saw the Nash commercial too...you should get MDG just because he said so.

    By Blogger Swedish Sensation, at 9:15 AM  

  • Ya.

    The name is retarded.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 5:04 PM  

  • i totally saw the commercial the other day too. first of all, i can't believe steve nash pimped himself out to MDG. to me, it's like the no name version of computers, but i don't know anything about computers anyways.

    and second of all, i can't believe MDG had enough money to hire a high profile athlete as a spokesperson.

    By Blogger diana, at 7:33 PM  

  • I want a laptop...a pretty one so I'd go with MAC. I don't know anything about computers so would I REALLY need the MacBook Pro or will an iBook do just fine? Of COURSE more is better, but would I use it to the fullest potential???
    Help me, computer geeks out there!!
    Otherwise I'd become a sucker for marketing and buy an MDG!!!

    By Blogger Rosanna =), at 12:24 AM  

  • Ya, you definitely don't need a MacBook Pro.

    But the iBooks are due for a refresh and a switch to Intel processors in the next few months [April-ish], so if you can wait, you will get a really good machine. I don't like the current iBooks because the screen is too small on both the 12" and the 14". They are both the same resolution so they are the same basically the same size. If you can't wait, go check them out and see what you think. You can ask me questions if you want but Ed also knows shit about OS X so you might want to ask him too.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 12:42 AM  

  • They're making iBook's with bigger screens?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 AM  

  • rose, sell ed your old computer if you get a new one. he's in desperate need of a new one. i think his is from when i was in grade nine! even if yours is old too, it's newer than his!

    if they made iBooks with bigger screens, that would be sweet, but i'm stuck with my hated dell. but it's also a very pretty silver colour.

    By Blogger diana, at 10:36 AM  

  • iBooks will probably get a new screen.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 6:36 PM  

  • if i end up getting an iBook when the new ones come out, is there a way to get the data from my PC over to the iBook? Or is that a pipedream?

    By Blogger Rosanna =), at 8:37 PM  

  • Ya, no problem. You can burn CD's or DVD's, use a Virtual Network [complicated, though], buy some internet storage space and upload everything to the net and then download it into your iBook. CD's or DVD's is definitely the easiest way though. Oh, you could also incest like 90 bucks in a small external hard drive and use that.

    I assume you mainly want to copy over music and pictures and productivity documents [ie. Word, Excel, etc.], yes?

    By Blogger Ryan, at 8:50 PM  

  • rose - besides blogging, i didn't even know you used your computer for anything else.

    By Blogger diana, at 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home