up in the big smoke

Thursday, June 15, 2006

my shopping philosophies

some random philosophies i live by while shopping. i have developed these through years of research and practice.

1. always buy things on sale (i may on the rare occasion buy regular price, but only if i really love the item and think it'll sell out fast).

2. if something fits well, is a good deal, and i really love it, i will buy it in multiple colours. i can probably coordinate a few outfits with the same items, just in different colours.

3. you can never have enough black pants. they go with everything (except brown and navy).

4. you can never have enough shoes. ever.

5. sometimes it's necessary to go on scouting missions at the mall. usually this is done at the beginning of the season, and you may not have any intention to buy anything, but you might want to check out what's in and keep a mental note of stores to go back to in a few weeks to see if it's on sale yet.

6. CDs are like food, a basic necessity. i never think twice about buying them.

7. develop acceptable price ranges you are willing to pay at specific stores, so then you can determine if things are actually a good deal and worth the purchase. for example, i might be willing to pay $50 for a skirt at banana republic b/c i know the product is good quality, will last me a long time, and their price points are usually higher than that. but if i saw the same skirt at H&M, i would not buy it for $50 b/c of opposite to the reasons i'd buy it at banana for.

8. always keep your receipts for the possibility of a price adjustment.

i think that's about it.

------------------
EDIT - i thought of another one:

9. be cautious about jumping on the fad bandwagon. it'll go out as fast as it became a fad. no one wants a closet full of boho skirts when the next new thing is a pencil skirt.

3 Comments:

  • Am I reading an excerpt from a "Shopaholic" series book by Sophie Kinsella???
    See...I suck at the recon thing cuz I have a BAD memory! I don't enjoy the act of shopping so I almost always buy things regular price if I like it, and I miss chances for price reductions since I don't go back frequently enough!
    Obviously I got the retarded shopping gene...hahaha
    but I DO buy things in multiple colors!! Mainly because I have to try less stuff on!!

    By Blogger Rosanna =), at 7:48 PM  

  • i should write a book. rose, you don't have the patience to shop, and not everyone is a money-making player who can buy at regular price! haha.

    By Blogger diana, at 1:02 AM  

  • You need some sorta recognition before you write the book so people will be like, "oh I gotta read the shopping book by Diana Tse because I saw her on a tv show!" hahaha
    If I were a money-making player I wouldn't be driving a Honda Civic!

    By Blogger Rosanna =), at 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home