up in the big smoke

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

a not-so long overdue appointment

i went to the dentist today to get my wisdom teeth checked out. they've "erupted," as the dentist folk call it, which means they've broken the gums and are coming out. i got a referral from my roommate's friend for this dentist right by my house, which is convenient. and he's a super nice dentist too.

i know i need to get them taken out, but i just wanted to know how urgent it was. i got good news. he basically said it's not urgent, i can decide when i want to take them out, whatever fits into my schedule. that being said, i shouldn't wait til i'm 30 to do it, he suggested doing it before i turn 25 because the longer i wait, the more complications i could have.

he did suggest me to get a cleaning before the wisdom teeth extraction so that my teeth are in top condition for the surgery. and he suggested if i wanted to wait to do the surgery, i can take some time to get to know him, the staff, and the office, so i would be comfortable before doing the surgery.

he also said my teeth are in really good condition, and i don't need to get a cleaning every 6 months. my teeth can take a cleaning every 9 months. before i saw the dentist, the nurse asked me if i flossed everyday, and i flat out said no. she was like "at least you're honest" because i didn't even hestitate when i answered. but then the dentist reinforced my bad habits when he said i take good care of my teeth. but i know i could be paying for this in the long run when my teeth start deteriorating. the first step is to brush for at least 2 mins. i definitely don't do that, it's just so boring. bad excuse, i know.

for some reason, i always thought taking x-rays at the dentist was super expensive. but it didn't turn out to be as expensive as i thought. or maybe my edmonton dentist just ripped us off.

3 Comments:

  • How much are the x-ray's here?

    My tooth stays. But my bottom right one still has to pop

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 AM  

  • i don't remember how much x-rays are in edmonton. but i got the panoramic one, and a few of the bitewing ones, and with the exam, it was $150.

    if you're getting one out, you might as well get them all out at once, so you're not having to go through it twice. and as my new dentist put it, you should get them out for preventative measures. you don't need them, and they're hard to clean, so they can decay much easier. and the longer you have them in, the longer the roots can grow, and it can get too close to the nerve, and cause nerve damage if you need to get it removed later on.

    By Blogger diana, at 8:02 PM  

  • Us Tse's don't have to floss and we still have good teeth! Matt's so jealous....heehee...I really need to make an appointment for a cleaning though...

    By Blogger Rosanna =), at 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home